Monday, February 23, 2009

Rump Rug FAQs

Okay, so maybe they're not so frequently asked, but I do have some questions on the use of a rump rug.

I've got a horse with a thick winter coat that I plan on riding outside tonight. Forecasted high of 33 degrees. I'll ride for about an hour, and I plan on getting her sweaty. I also plan on sewing up my rump rug today before the ride. Got some great plans for it, can't wait to show you how it turns out. Will post that up later this week.

  1. Do I start out riding with the rump rug?
  2. For how long - just warm-up, or for the whole ride?
  3. If I use the rump rug for warm up only, do I put it back on during the cool-down walk out?

What I'm imagining is that I'd use it for the first 10-15 minutes of walking and slow trotting, then I'd fold it back up for the bulk of the work out. When we're done, I figured I'd spread it back out over her rump for the 10-15 minutes of slow trotting, walking out cooldown time. By then she should be pretty well recovered, then I'd bring her back and untack, then throw the cooler sheets on until she's dry since I figure I'll get her sweaty.

I sure appreciate you all letting me know how you use your rump rugs, and any suggestions you may have!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your plan is what I would do. Have a good ride.

Michelle Detmer

All Who Wander said...

Ditto that!

~E.G.