Things I know I'm NOT going to try: the 30 on Friday (distance), or the 25 on Saturday (too many other riders on the trail for our first experience)
I may POSSIBLY do the 25 on Sunday....yes, THIS Sunday! Or I will wait until the end of May.
I am so torn!
Reasons why doing the 25 on Sunday is a good idea:
- the weather all this week is supposed to be sunny and dry, which means the trails should be as dry as I've ever been on them. Drier trails = less mud!
- I know that unless something crazy and weird happens that I could finish the 25 mile ride on time.
- Horse is fit enough to complete, but not so fit that she'll be hyped up the whole time. (I think)
- I really want to do it!
Reasons why riding on Sunday is NOT such a good idea:
- It's kind of a last minute thing.....so maybe not thought out quite as well as it needs to be
- The last 2 times I rode I was dumped. Not too good of a confidence booster!
- I am not in that great of shape right now, physically, and will be SORE after 25 miles.
- I'd have to miss church, and also a portion of a fun family get-together with relatives I love and haven't seen in a LONG time, though I'd still get to see them all on Saturday.
On the other hand, this ride this weekend is just the first of many rides in my state. If I choose not to do this one, there's the one at the end of May.
Why I should wait until the end of May:
- I'll have another month of conditioning and training so that both myself and the horse will be REALLY, really, really READY.
- ummm, waiting is good at building patience, which is a good thing for everyone to have (yes...I really had to stretch to find more than one good thing about waiting!)
Okay...maybe I need to itemize the things that I'll be working on the next month, whether I ride the LD this weekend or not:
- Rider fitness: jogging, abdominal strength
- Horse fitness: continued work on a sustained trot
- Training: building confidence at the canter (whether or not it's actually used at rides)
- Horse Health/Soundness: annual vaccinations (next week or 2, always do them in April), clearing up the scratches COMPLETELY although mostly they're all gone except her left hind, getting rid of the thrush that just won't go away due to the sloppy muddy conditions in the winter lot and transitioning to 24/7 pasture turnout, vs "dry" lot wintering.
- Finding a source for beet pulp w/out molasses
- other stuff as it comes up
Soo, decisions, decisions. My plan of action for M, T, W of this week is: Hand jogging w/ Arabee and aggressively treating those scratches and thrush (Her frogs are really in good shape, just can't seem to shake it yet this year, but hopefully with treatment this week and the dry weather and pasturing now instead of "dry" lotting she'll have clear hooves by the weekend)
I'll be praying about it and really hope to make a good decision when it comes to when to make our endurance debut.
If anyone has any input, I'm open to hearing your thoughts on the matter!